Museum Cover It was John Young Jr

At the Youngsville Museum of History, we are devoted to exploring, preserving, sharing and celebrating the history/heritage of the Town of Youngsville, from its original time of settlement to the current day. As we travel on this collaborative journey, we expect to uncover and collect forgotten or previously unknown historical information. We value your partnership on this journey through history.

Museum Street View - Copy

Click on a History link below to learn how the story begins:
Pioneer Colonial Settlers

From Pioneer Colonial Settlers to a Community of Agricultural, Cultural & Commercial Excellence

A Truly American Story ~

The Founding of Youngsville

The Falls Line

To understand the history of Youngsville, it is important to understand a little about who the early settlers were that came to and forged the foundation for the settlement of the area that is today know as "Youngsville" formerly known as "Pacific".  The early migrants (primarily English, German, Scots and some others) came from settlements in Virginia seeking the opportunity to obtain good land and water to be able to grow tobacco and cotton, etc. These agricultural crops (tobacco, cotton, etc.) were in great demand in England.  Tobacco became the chief product.  

These colonial pioneers came from many areas of Virginia such as "James City" (e.g. Isaac Winston & family). They traveled into the Carolinas and points south following what is generally referred to as the "Fall Line Road" (See graphic). This road originated in Fredericksburg, Virginia to Richmond Va. and headed to Petersburg, Va. then to Warrenton, N.C. onward to Raleigh, N.C. and points south. Today if you look at a map showing US Highway 1, you are pretty much looking at the "Fall Line Road."

Courtesy of The Royal Colony of North Carolina (


In 1663 King Charles the second granted to a company of men known as the Lord Proprietors, all of the country between the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans, setting aside that portion between parallels 31 and 36 degrees latitude to be named in his honor. It would be called Carolina for his name Carolus.  The first white settlers in Franklin County is said to have been located on Sandy Creek in 1740.

Settlement of Piedmont North Carolina began between 1730 and 1740. Growth of the "western frontier" began as Virginians flowed into upper Granville. Few settlers fame from the east as travel was distant and difficult.  Immigrants from Virginia and more northern points, seeking better climate, better land, and more religious freedom. 

In 1728 when William Byrd and his party of surveyors reached the border of Granville and Person counties, in their job of establishing the dividing line between North Carolina and Virginia, he recorded in his journal that they were at least fifty miles west of the residences of any white inhabitants. Mr. Byrd mentioned an abundance of deer, buffalos, bears, fox, turkeys, squirrel, geese and wild-cats with meat as white as veal. This wild cat was twice as large as any household cat, the fiercest animal of the woods. He spoke of meeting Sapponi Indians and described them as "having something great and venerable in their countenances -- honest and brave." 

In history of the Dividing Line, Wm. Byrd makes note of meeting Sarah Winston Syme, widow of John Syme, who later married John Henry and became mother of Patrick Henry. ("History of the Dividing Line, by Willam Byrd.)

Many of Youngsville citizens today trace their ancestry directly back to the colonies of Virginia. However, some came from Maryland, Pennsylvania and the New England Colonies. Daniel Boone's family came down from Pennsylvania and was in North Carolina a number of years before moving to Tennessee. There were Boones, Winstons, Hendersons living in areas just north of Henderson, some of whom spread into our area. Daniel Boone's family moved on to the Yadkin Valley area prior to Tennessee. Winstons and Hendersons were associated with him in some of his ventures, such as the Transylvania Compact. 

Many early immigrants settled first on the "Tar "River, the original name of which is said to be the "Tau" and Indian word for health.


The story of Youngsville is the story of America on a smaller scale. From its immigrant beginnings, to hard work, faith, and courage, Youngsville developed a strong sense of community and opportunity. 

The first permanent settlement of Englishmen and their families in what is now Youngsville appears to have begun around 1750-1760 when hardy frontiersmen pushed into the woods and forests occupied only by scattered Indian tribes.  There are indications that French Huguenots were also among the early pioneers. The examination of records of those early settlers, more than 270 years ago, reveal names that are strikingly similar to those in today's records. Many of their descendants still call Youngsville home. The trail of many local family histories picks up after the immigration and initial settlement at James City, Virginia. As the settlement increased there, Virginia families began migrating inland, going south to North Carolina and some to South Carolina and beyond. Family treks southward and westward resulted in many coming into Carolina through the old Tuscarora trading Path, which came across the Roanoke or "Moratuck" river and on down a course almost parallel with what later became the Raleigh and Gaston Railroad. Those railroad tracks still traverse Youngsville, N.C.  (Excerpts: Sketches of Youngsville and Pacific, Mr. R.E. Cheatham)

During these settlement years between 1750-1760, many of the early settlers came from the Virginia colonies to settle and work the land which is today Youngsville. Acres of land could be had for small sums. The Earl of Granville would issue a land grant o50 acres to an immigrant, plus 50 more acres for each additional member of his family and for each servant with him. The early years of settlement was a story of survival in the wilderness, clearing and cultivating the land. Colonial adventurers migrated across the newly drawn Virginia-Carolina line.  During the period of 1790-1800 and for some time later Henry Goodloe seemed to have a general store and operated a stagecoach inn at his home. The population at this time was mainly farmers, who grew tobacco, cotton, grain and other crops. Nearly all of the food was provided from their own farm land.

Later around 1848 some of these settlers banded together with their neighbors to establish a more formal community known as "Pacific." Pioneers sought land by good creeks and springs. Water being essential, Richland Creek and its branches attracted families to what is now Youngsville.  As time went on, lands were divided and resold a number of times before the first settlements.

Many Carolina immigrants were the sons of fine Virginia families, leaving old plantations which would according to custom be inherited by their older brothers. A few pioneers were bond servants, some indentured for the cost of passage to America, now free of debt. Groups who came down together varied and included carpenters, farmers, bricklayers, tanners, hatters, ministers. etc.

Crossroads An Era of Prosperity Has Begun
(Pacific to Youngsville)


 Old Granville County records show that one John Young (Sr.) came from Essex County, Virginia to Carolina in the 1750's. Decedents multiplied and settled in various sections of the county. In our vicinity earliest Young family settlers were in the Harris Crossroads area and Goodloes.

From the 1750's to the present day, Youngsville has been an example of America's growth and struggles for prosperity. From the settlers following the Indian trails, to the stagecoach roads, to the railroad tracks all were the highways to today's prosperity.  On the road to prosperity comes economic, governmental, societal and personal struggles.


Forests were cleared, trees cut for homes and fields were prepared. Tobacco became a chief product. Meat was secured by hunters. Few families had cattle or hogs in the earlier days of settlement. Clothing was often made of buckskin rather than cloth which was not easy to come by. What products farmers raised, made or grew were chiefly for their own survival. If the settlers raised tobacco or had surplus of other products, it was carted up the Indian trading path to Virginia or to the Roanoke river for shipment to the coast. The task of getting their crops and goods to market for sale was a hard, long and dangerous journey.

Before Pacific was settled, there were storehouses established to store their goods and crops on surrounding plantations, at crossroads of old Stage Roads, and in Stage Coach Inns. Farmers closest to Pacific at that time were the Winstons, Greens, Holdens, Hudsons, Martins, Carsons, Davis, Youngs, and Fullers. Families operated businesses in various outlying areas. Duke Davis, Goodloes, Fullers, Winstons, Mitchells, Greens, Whites, Joyners, Holdens and probably others.  (Courtesy of "Sketches of Youngsville and Pacific," Mrs: R.E. Cheatham). When the first post office was established in 1848 the community went on record as "Pacific." According to legend, the little settlement west of the railroad tracks was accepted as "Pacific," though land on the east side was believed to be called "Atlantic."  Between 1780-1790 living conditions began to improve somewhat.  Churches were established, though in widely scattered locations. Circuit rider preachers visited in the vicinity. One of the first well-known ministers in our vicinity was Rev. Bartholomew Fuller, who bought land on both sides of present Youngsville, besides at one time owning the part that is now the town of Youngsville.  The part that Rev. Fuller sold, eventually went to John Young, Jr.

The Young family, the Winstons, Bentons, Mitchells, Dents, Wiggins, Jeffreys, Goodloes, Davis, Greens, along with other courageous settlers, arrived in this locality more than a century before the town of Youngsville was incorporated on March 17, 1875 

It was John Young Jr., [for whom the town was named] known as "Jack" who

in 1873 conveyed land for a railroad depot to be built. 

In 1837, Mr. John Young, Jr. purchased 302 acres of land from Mr. Joseph Winston. It was in the northwestern section of that large tract that the community of Pacific - Freemans Township  (also known as Pacific Depot) was established in 1848. Farmers closest to Pacific at that time were Winstons, Greens, Holdens, Hudsons, Martins, Carsons, David, Youngs and Fullers.

In 1873, Mr. John Young, Jr. conveyed land to the Raleigh and Gaston Railroad for the building of a railroad depot. Then in 1875 The Town of Youngsville was incorporated. 

With the establishment of the railroad depot and subsequent warehouses, the farmers now had an easier connection to the railroad, to sell and transport their crops to market.  As a result many businesses were established to support this agricultural boom. It was a strong sense of community, their faith and agricultural/technological development (the railroad) that helped Youngsville attain economic prosperity. When the railroad built the depot, the name posted  was "Youngville", [without the s], and so it remained that way for years. While signs on the station for passengers read "Youngsville" [with the s] and so the name Youngsville remains to this day.

After incorporation in 1875, the town of Youngsville began an upward swing to prosperity. Farmers were growing increasing amounts of tobacco and cotton. Lumber also became a necessary business. Multiple supportive businesses sprang up and multiplied. Merchants needed supplies and outlets for their products and services. Cotton gins and tobacco & cotton warehouses were built. The establishment of the railroad depot in Youngsville in 1873 was the catalyst for economic prosperity and growth into the early 20th century. The seeds of prosperity had been planted.  (Excerpts: Sketches of Youngsville and Pacific, Mr. R.E. Cheatham)

Tobacco and Cotton

Remembering:  John Young, Jr. (1802-1887) 

John Young Tombstone


THE FRANKLIN TIMES | Louisburg, N.C. 1 July 1887

"Mr. John Young, Jr. the oldest citizen of the Town of Youngsville in this county died on the 19th of June 1887, aged 85.  A correspondent to the NEWS-OBSERVER says:

"His life was well spent. He was esteemed and respected by all who knew him.  The funeral services were held Monday at the First Baptist Church of Youngsville. Rev. W.B. Royal conducted the service.

The pall-bearers were J.B. Perry, J.T. Harper, G.G. Patterson, E.L. Winston, T.L Moss and J.P. Winston. The remains were interred in the family cemetery near Youngsville, N.C."

The History of the Formation of Franklin County

The land that is now Franklin County, where Youngsville is one of its towns originally in 1664 Was Albermarle County. In 1668 Albemarle County was subdivided into Carteret, Berkeley & Shaftesbury Precincts. In 1681 Saftesbury Precinct was renamed Chowan Precinct. In 1722 Bertie Precinct was formed from Chowan Precinct. In 1739 Bertie Precinct becomes Bertie County. In 1741 Edgecomber County was formed from Bertie County. In 1746 Granville County was formed from Edgecombe County. In 1754 the creation of Bertie Precinct, Edgecombe County and Granville County was repealed by King George II, in Privy Council. In 1756 Bertie, Edgecombe and Granville was re-created. In 1764 Bute County (extinct) was formed from Granville County. In 1787 Franklin County gains land from Wake County. In 1875 Franklin County gains land from Granville County. In 1881 Franklin County loses land to help form Vance County.  In 1779 Franklin County was formed from Bute County.

The territory embraced in Franklin County:

Cotton & Tobacco & The Railroad

Cotton & Tobacco and The Railroad

Agricultural, Cultural & Commercial Excellence

~ A Truly American Story ~

Agricultural Prosperity:
Tobacco, Cotton & The Raleigh and Gaston Railroad

As more farms and later plantations grew in size, there became a increasing need to accommodate the larger harvests and facilitate the sale of their crops.  Most people established "Kitchen Gardens" where they grew the vegetables they needed for their families. Kitchen gardens historically were between one and two acres in size, generally located behind the home.

Tobacco was first discovered by the native people of Mesoamerica and South America and later introduced to Europe and the rest of the world. Eastern North American tribes has historically carried tobacco in pouches as a readily accepted trade item, as well as smoking it in pipe ceremonies, whether for sacred ceremonies or those to seal a treaty or agreement. Tobacco was also used as a medicine to treat physical conditions. Historically, this herbaceous plant was used as a pain killer by Native American tribes.  It has been used for earache and toothache and occasionally as a poultice. (See:

The story of Tobacco in the colonies begins in colonial Virginia when settlers were in search of gold. Instead, these farming settlers found tobacco. Tobacco soon yielded riches greater than all of the mines of Spain. From the Jamestown colony, John Rolfe sent the first shipment of Virginia leaf in 1613. Within one generation, this newly introduced tobacco was sent to England and was known around the world. John Rolfe was the husband of the famous Indian Princess, Pocahontas. this daughter of Powhatan Indian emperor of Virginia, saved the colony from disaster several times, It is likely that Rolfe learned tobacco cultivation from Princess Pocahontas. Princess Pocahontas died in England in 1617. Growing tobacco crops in the Virginias (North Carolina, etc.) expanded and became a principal crop for sale to external markets. As time progressed tobacco and cotton grew in importance as a cash crop and farmers were growing less for subsistence. The culture of the plant which sustained one of the greatest industries in the world begins with a seed so tiny that a tablespoonful is enough to plant six and a half acres- an area larger that the average tobacco planter's plot. (Courtesy of: The Story of Lucky Strike by Roy C. Flannagan and Pat Flannagan Hooker)

The establishment of the Youngsville Railroad Station in 1873 facilitated the farmers to get their agricultural products to markets and factories quicker. In 1874 Washington Duke and Sons builds it first tobacco factory in Durham, N.C.  R. J. Reynolds builds his first tobacco factory in Winston Salem, N.C.  By 1879 North Carolina had 126 tobacco factories that annually manufactured 6.5 million pounds of plug tobacco and 4 million pounds of smoking and other tobacco.  Later additional tobacco manufacturing becomes located in Durham, Winston-Salem, Reidsville, and Greensboro, N.C. The time of economic prosperity is beginning and continues until the financial crash of 1929. 

Youngsville Tobacco Market: 

The Youngsville Tobacco Market was established in 1896 as the result of the determined foresight of the following Youngsville citizens: Burton H. Winston, James Sidney Timberlake, Cheatham Bros., J.B. Perry, G.C. Patterson, J.W. Woodlief and Dr. Ivery G. Riddick and others. Knowing that Youngsville was located in one of the best tobacco growing areas of North Carolina, resourceful men of the town pushed the tobacco enterprise ahead. (For further info. (See "Sketches of Youngsville and Pacific" by Mrs. R.E. Cheatham).

Until 1883, tobacco excise tax accounted for one third of internal revenue collected by the United States government. Internal Revenue Service data for 1879-1880 show total tobacco tax receipts of $38.9 million, out of total receipts of $116.8 million. Following the American Civil War, the tobacco industry struggled as it attempted to adapt. Not only did the labor force change from slavery to sharecropping, but a change in demand also occurred.  As in Europe, there was a desire for not only snuff, pipes and cigars, but cigarettes as well.

Youngsville Cotton Market:

The Youngsville Cotton Market was established and around 1897, between 5,000 to 8,000 bales of cotton were sold annually at this market. A large cotton yard occupied much of the area across from the depot, between West Main Street and Franklin Street.

Cotton is not an easy crop to grow and even harder to harvest. Until the late 1700s, processing cotton required lots of manual labor. In 1793 Eli Whitney invented the cotton gin, a machine that makes the processing of cotton quicker. Eli Whitney's cotton gin meant that they could process cotton (separating the cotton from the seeds) ten times faster than by hand. With the ability to process the cotton faster, farmers could grow more and get it to market sooner. That resulted in the need for more laborers in the fields, thus increasing the slave trade. The cotton industry grew and so did the selling of textiles made from cotton.

Owners of early cotton gins in and around Youngsville were: James S. Timberlake and J.M. Winston on Winston Street and Mr. Isham Mitchell who founded the Sugar Loaf Gin on Sugar Loaf Street which later became Pine Street. A highly developed type of early maturing pure sugar loaf cotton was produced in the area. Mr. Isham Mitchell, founder of Sugar Loaf Cotton Farm, owned the Sugar Loaf Cotton Brand. He got his first Sugar loaf seed by going into his, as well as other cotton patches, picking cotton which he carefully measured. When he found cotton fibers one and one eighth inches long he grew it on his test plots to get the length fixed. The seed from this cotton became in great demand and large quantities were sold and shipped to many Southern parts of the Cotton Belt each year. From Sugar Loaf Street (Pine) the gin was later moved to the site of the J.M. Winston Gin on Winston Street.  It appears that this town street was named for the Winstons who owned property there. At one time George Winston operated a business which later became known as the Winston-Underwood Gin.  Records show that in 1935 Mr. J.C. Winston or his estate, owned a gin lot in town. Many others followed this agricultural pursuit.

Cotton Yard
Youngsville Cotton Yard 
Late 1890's

Cheatham Bros. Leaf Tobacco Warehouse - Youngs
(Approximately 82' X 100')


Tobacco and Cotton

"The first train ride into Raleigh from Youngsville was in 1840." In 1897 the name was changed to the "Seaboard Airline Railway."


The Raleigh and Gaston Railroad was constructed through the local area about 1837-1840. Farmers who conveyed land to the Raleigh and Gaston Railroad Company were John Young (Senior) 1837; Anthony Winston in 1837; Moses Winston in 1838; David Wall 1838 and others.  In 1869 Ben Winston conveyed land to the railroad, then in 1874 Henry Winston conveyed land.  It was in 1873 that John Young, Jr. conveyed land for a new railroad depot to be built in the town of Pacific [later to become known as Youngsville]. 

The introduction of the railroad in the mid 1800s and more railroad stations in the later 1800's, enabled farmers to get their tobacco, cotton crops to market easier. The first water tank to service the train was apparently the one on Brandy Creek north of town. It was located in a low area downhill by the track, where there is a long curve in the tracks. In later years a wooden tank was erected near the present Union Grove Church. Water was pumped up from Brandy Creek. 

It is alleged, that Confederate forces destroyed the Railroad trestle over Cedar Creek in an effort to prevent Union forces from using the railroad to move Union soldiers and equipment South toward Raleigh. U.S/ Military rebuilt the temporary trestle in 1865.

When the old railroad stations burned in 1907 (Freight Station) & 1909 (Passenger Station), both the freight and passenger stations had been located very close to Main Street. When rebuilt, each was moved further back from the street, up the tracks about a half-block, but still close to the tracks.

Sketches Railroad

Trestle over Cedar Creek
Railroad Schedule


Native American Tribes
Native American Tribes of Franklin County

Before the first white settlers were here more than two centuries ago, the lands of Franklin County (formerly Granville County) and surrounding areas were inhabited mainly by the Saponi and Occaneechi  (part of the Saponi Nation) and Tuscarora Indian tribes who lived and hunted these lands. The Occaneechi and the Haliwa Tribes became part of the Saponi Nation.

 The very first white settlers in our area were probably white pioneer hunters who came in from Virginia and lived among the Indians. But the fear of the numerous Indians in the area made the process of settlement very slow.  There is practically no evidence of the presence of white settlers in Granville until after the strength of the warlike Tuscaroras was broken in 1711. From that date on, the arrival of white settlers was steady. (See Granville Connections - Journal of the Granville County Generalogical Society 1746, Inc. Volume 2 Number 1 - Winter 1996)

It is believed that in 1676, due to trouble over beaver skins and difficulties with the Susquehnna Indians, the Oconeechi Indians (who lived on Oconeechi Island in the Roanoke River) moved to the area around what is now Hillsboro; therefore, between 1676 and 1701 the entire tribe crossed over Granville County to the area where John Lawson (a surveyor and historian who made trips to the interior of North Carolina in the early 1700's.) found them in 1701.  (See Granville Connections - Journal of the Granville County Generalogical Society 1746, Inc. Volume 2 Number 1 - Winter 1996)

The Tuscarora Indian Nation (believed to have been six tribes) occupied much of the North Carolina inner coastal plain at the time of the Roanoke Island colonies. They were considered the most powerful and highly developed tribes in North Carolina. The Tuscarora Upper Towns, those under the sway of Chief Tom Blount and occupying sites along the upper Neuse, Tar and Roanoke rivers had sufficiently profitable relations with white [colonists] to accept the new situation as long as they were not directly threatened. (See "Tuscarora Indians" by Thomas C. Parramore, 2006, Published on NCpedia

The Tuscarora Indians, a very warlike tribe, lived in the Granville District along the headwaters of the Neuse River in the vicinity of Knapp of Reeds Creek. Granville (County) was part of the original home of the Tuscaroras and it was the hunting ground for several other tribes. (See Granville Connections - Journal of the Granville County Generalogical Society 1746, Inc. Volume 2 Number 1 - Winter 1996)

The Occaneechi Indians were a tribe of American Indians who lived in the Piedmont region of what are now North Carolina and southern Virginia prior to European settlement. Although no written accounts of the Occaneechi language have survived, the tribe is thought to have spoken an eastern Siouan dialect like many of their Piedmont neighbors. The early Virginia historian Robert Beverley noted in 1705 believed that Occaneechi was the general language used by other Indians in the trade. (see "Occaneechi Indians", by R.P Stephen Davis Jr., 2006, Published on NCpedia

On through the 1700's, settlers drifted south from Virginia seeking new land for planting not only tobacco, but many other crops, many of them introduced to the settlers by the Native American Indians: corn, beans, sweet potatoes, squash, pumpkins, peanuts. Colonial settlers learned and adopted beneficial agricultural practices from these Native American Indians.

Through the years, many Indian relics have been found, especially near creeks and waterways. Relics found on Cedar Creek, farm of Dr. Walter Thomas were examined by experts who reported that an Indian Village must have been located in that vicinity in the valley east of "Mountain Hill" behind the old homestead which is on the old Simms property. Archeological investigations have uncovered the remains of small villages. These discoveries (graves, pottery, etc.) has yielded the belief that Iroquois war parties and European-introduced diseases had devastated the Occaneechi in the early eighteenth century. By 1712 portions of the Occaneechi had left the Eno River Valley area (Just west of Durham, N.C.) and moved to the northeast.

The ancestors of the Occaneechi-Saponi were an ancient people who collectively call themselves YESAH or the people. The YESAH originally came for lands to the west, over the Appalachian and Blue ridge Mountains in the area known today as the Ohio River Valley. As the Yesah settled in the new land to the East (Virginia and North Carolina) they formed numerous villages such as the Saponi, Totero and Occaneechi. During the Revolutionary War the Saponi people split into two factions, one siding with the British Crown and other stayed and fought on the American side. The side loyal to the Crown migrated north to New York. By 1790 the bulk of the remaining Saponi tribe migrated down the old Occaneechi trading paths onto their former lands near the Eno river in the northwest section of Orange County, NC.

Since 1980 the Occaneechi tribe has been involved with the research laboratories of Anthropology at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in the excavation of the old Occaneechi village on the Eno River in Hillsboro, NC.  The Occaneechi Band of the Saponi Nation has expressed an interest in uncovering and preserving it rich cultural and historical legacy. Since 1985, the Occaneechi tribe has conducted extensive genealogical and historical research for the preparation of petitions for official state and federal recognition.

 The Occaneechi band of the Saponi Nation was recognized by the state of North Carolina in 2002. (Excerpts Courtesy of: WWW.OBSN.ORG   prepared by Forest & Lawrence A. Dunmore, III Esq.)

For further detailed history of journey of these native American people - See WWW.OBSN.ORG 

Native American House

Service to Country: Revolutionary & Civil War
Service to Country
Declaration of Independence
The American Revolution
Organized home-front protection began with Colonial settlement in our area around 1750. Pioneers banded together to ward off Indian attacks and to protect themselves from wild animals.

In State records of 1754, we find a muster roll of a regiment of militia in Colonial Granville County, which at that time included what is now Franklin County. The militia was under the command of Colonel William Eaton, Lt. Colonel Will Person and Major James Paine.  

It consisted of eight companies.  One of the companies was under the command of Captain Osborn Jeffreys. Some of the men whose decedent's are still in our locality. Family names in that early militia included: Winston, Cooke, Young, Fuller, Allen, Perry, Bridges, White and many other familiar names.

Prior to 1806 there were only the unorganized groups of militia made up of volunteers for service in such conflicts as the Tuscarora Indian War, the French and Indian conflict, then later the Revolutionary War. In 1806 the General Assembly of North Carolina passed an act for statewide organization. 


Colonial North Carolina & The American Revolution  (Fight for Freedom & Independence)

The American Revolution was an ideological and political revolution that occurred in British America between 1765 and 1791. The Americans in the Thirteen Colonies formed independent states that defeated the British in the American Revolutionary War (1775-1783), gaining independence from the British Crown establishing the constitution and establishing the United States of America. American colonists objected to being taxed by the British Parliament, a body in which they had no direct representation. (See WIKIPEDIA,  "American Revolution")

"The first Provincial Congress held in defiance of the British authority was held at New Bern in August of 1774. The first action against the Stamp Tax took place, not in Boston, but in eastern North Carolina at the mouth of the Cape Fear River. The Mecklenburg Declaration of Independence  was signed, we believe, on May 20, 1775, (Possible misapplication of the 20 May date to the authentic Mecklenburg Resolves of May 31, 1775) and the Halifax Resolves on April 12, 1776." (Lt. Governor Jim Hunt 1975)  Note: [The Halifax Resolves ordered North Carolina's delegation to the second Continental Congress in Philadelphia, not only to form foreign alliances, but also to seek and vote for independence from Great Britain. This action made North Carolina the first of the colonial governments to call for total independence. As such, it became a factor leading to the writing of the Declaration of Independence, which was adopted on July 4, 1776. ] (Courtesy of

While we celebrate the Declaration of Independence as occurring in 1776 (Final draft being adopted by the Continental Congress July 4, 1776). It was not until the 1783 Treaty of Paris where under the terms of this treaty, which ended The War of the American Revolution, Great Britain officially acknowledged the United States as a sovereign and independent nation. (See: "The Declaration of Independence, 1776",

Organized home-front protection began with Colonial settlements in our area around 1736-1750.  Isaac Winston, Jr. and his son Anthony were among the first Winston's to settle in North Carolina about 1736. Isaac Winston, Jr. was born in St. Paul's Parrish New Kent Virginia about 1690. 

Pioneers banded together to ward off Indian attacks and to protect themselves from wild animals. Prior to 1806 only unorganized groups of militia existed determined to defend their communities in such conflicts as the Tuscarora Indian War, the French and Indian Conflict; then later the Revolutionary War. A muster roll of N.C. Militia Regiment of October 8, 1754, under the command of Col. William Eaton, lists the name of William and Isaac Winston in the regiment of Capt. Osborne Jeffreys of Granville County. Isaac Winston was the father of Anthony Winston.

Youngsville PatriotsAnthony Winston III [b: 1710 d: 1786] and John Winston (his son) [b: 1755 d: 1802], were patriots who fought in various engagements during the Revolutionary War and served in various capacities.  The images below reflect a formal ceremony held at the gravesites of Anthony Winston and John Winston on October 16, 2021 (Winston Family Cemetery) in Youngsville, N.C , in recognition of their patriotic service during the American Revolution. This ceremony was jointly conducted by the North Carolina Society of the American Revolution; the Georgia Society Sons of the American Revolution; the Virginia Society Sons of the American Revolution and the North Carolina Daughters of the American Revolution. Ms. Linda Winston Jones was the Winston family spokesperson at this ceremony. Mrs. Terry (Winston) Parrish & husband Mr. Tom Parrish also represented the Winston family at this ceremony.

Sons of the American Revolution Pledge:  "We, the descendants of the heroes of the American Revolution, who by their sacrifices established the United States of America, reaffirm our faith in the principles of Liberty and our Constitutional Republic, and solemnly pledge to defend them against every foe."

"Members of the Youngsville Museum of History were privileged and honored 

to have been part of this ceremony recognizing these American Colonial Patriots."

Anthony Winston, 111    John Winston Colonial War Patriots

Program Grave Marking Conyers-Winston Cemetery

Program Booklet from the Revolutionary War Recognition Ceremony


 War Between the States

In the mid-19th century, while the United States was experiencing an era of tremendous growth, a fundamental economic difference exited between the country's northern and southern regions. Growing abolitionist sentiment in the North after the 1830s and northern opposition to slavery's extension into the new western territories led many southerners to fear that the existence of slavery in America - and thus the backbone of their economy --was in danger.  In 1854, the U.S. Congress passed the Kansas-Nebraska Act, which essentially opened all territories to slavery by asserting the rule of popular sovereignty over congressional edict.  (See:, Civil War).

Southerners consistently argued for states rights and a weak federal government, but it was not until the 1850s that the South raised the issue of secession.  Southerners argued that having ratified the Constitution and having agreed to join the new nation in the late 1780s, they retained the power to cancel the agreement and they threatened to do just that..." (See: States' Rights - American Battlefield Trust.)

When Abraham Lincoln won the 1860 election on a platform of halting the expansion of slavery, seven states seceded to form the Confederacy. Shortly afterward, the Civil War began on April 12, 1861, when Confederate forces attacked the U.S. Army's Fort Sumter in Charleston, South Carolina.  On April 15, 1861, President Abraham Lincoln called forth in response "the militia of several States of the Union, to the aggregate number of seventy-five thousand, in order to suppress the rebellion, four additional slave states then joined the Confederacy.

In February of 1861, the Confederate Congress elected Jefferson Davis as President in Montgomery Alabama. President Jefferson Davis' popularity and effectiveness were not enhanced by the growing numbers of Confederate defeats in the latter years of the war. On April 2, 1865, he and other members of the Confederate government were forced to flee Richmond (Capitol of the Confederacy) before the advancing Union Army. 

Robert E. Lee, at age 54, resigned his commission as a Colonel in the United States Army on April 20, 1861, after having spent 34 years of his adult life in the service of the United States Army. "At the time, I [Robert E. Lee] hoped that peace would have been preserved: that some way would have been found to save the country from the calamities of war; and I then had no other intention than to pass the remainder of my life as a private citizen." On April 19, as Lee was struggling over his personal decision, the Virginia Convention passed an ordinance creating the post of major general to act as "the commander of the military and naval forces of Virginia," and the following day Governor Letcher accepted his advisory council's recommendation of Lee.  Ex-Colonel Lee enjoyed only one day as a private citizen, Sunday April 21 while messengers from Richmond were on the way to the plantation at Arlington. On Monday April 22 Robert E. Lee rode by train to Richmond, and in an informal interview with the governor [of Virginia], accepted the command of Virginia's forces, under the control of governor's constituted authority. The following day, April 23, the new major general went to the Capitol, designed by Thomas Jefferson, to receive his formal appointment from the Convention. Major General Robert E. Lee had little more than six weeks to organize armed forces and a system of defense before shifting to the uninspiring assignment of transferring units and positions to the new arrivals from the original Confederacy, (North Carolina, Tennessee and Arkansas came in simultaneously with Virginia."  (Excerpts from: "The Wartime Papers of Robert E. Lee", Edited by Clifford Dowdey and Louis H. Manarin)

While he looked for a long war, the "fire-eaters" (pro slavery Democrats from South Carolina who urged secession) looked to the one battle that would send the invaders back home and convince the world that the sovereign people of the Confederate States could not be coerced by force. The one big battle came at Manassas on July 21, 1861 and - by the chance of action and no credit to General Beauregard - the invaders did leave Virginia very unceremoniously, but the war was only beginning. (Excerpts from: "The Wartime Paper of Robert E. Lee", Edited by Clifford Dowdey and Louis H. Manarin)

The Old North State (North Carolina) provided between one-sixth and one-seventh of all Confederate troops during the War Between the States.  (See: It Happened in North Carolina - Scotti Cohn). After many years with long and deadly battles (Manassas, Gettysburg, Antietam, Richmond and Petersburg,), the Battle of Appomattox Court House, fought on the morning of April, 9, 1865, was one of the last battles of the American Civil War. It was the final engagement of Confederate General in Chief, Robert E. Lee and his Army of Northern Virginia before they surrendered in the afternoon of April 9, 1865 to the Union Army of the Potomac under the Commanding General of the United States Army, Ulysses S. GrantOn April 10, 1865 Commanding General Robert E. Lee, Army of Northern Virginia issued his famous "General Order 9", surrendering to U.S. General Ulysses S. Grant at Appomattox Court House, Virginia. April 20, 1865, Lee as a paroled prisoner of war, at last wrote Jefferson Davis that he recommend a "suspension of hostilities and the restoration of peace."  (Note: When General Robert E. Lee and his commanders realized that the cavalry was now backed up by two corps of federal infantry, he had no choice, but to surrender with his further avenue of retreat and escape now cut off , if he hadn't, his forces would have been demolished.) 

(It should be noted that both Robert E. Lee and U.S. Grant fought in the Mexican War and knew of each other at that time. 

Both were serving in the U.S. Army. Robert E. Lee was a Captain and U. S. Grant was a Lieutenant during the Mexican War.)

Lee & Grant


The following is an excerpt from the story told by J.D. Lewis about the Confederate troops on the morning following the battle of Appomattox Court House of April 10, 1865.:

"About 9 o'clock a.m., it was whispered among our men that a surrender was to be made. All talk  of this kind was soon hushed up by the officers. We still could not understand why we did not charge until about 12 o'clock, when we found out that we had indeed surrendered, During the afternoon we learned the terms of surrender that we would be paroled and allowed to go home. Next morning General Robert E. Lee's farewell address to his troops was read to our regiment. We remined in this position till Wednesday, April 12, 1865, when we marched over near the Court House and stacked our arms in front of the enemy. Having received our paroles we started that evening for home, the men of the different companies forming into squads took the nearest route to their own section, and the 27th NC Regiment (State troops) passed out of existence." 
Courtesy of: J.D. Lewis (

On April 11, 1865, at 1 o'clock General Joseph E. Johnston learned from an unofficial yet reliable dispatch that General Robert E. Lee had surrendered the remnants of his army near Appomattox Court House, Virginia. Prior to this, the last shred of hope for an independent and the victorious Confederate States of America rested on Johnston uniting his army with Lee's somewhere near the North Carolina-Virginia border. Lee's surrender dashed those hopes. On the morning of April 17, 1865 General Sherman learned by a coded telegram from Federal Secretary of War Edwin Stanton that President Abraham Lincoln had been assassinated. On April 27, 1865 President Andrew Johnson and his cabinet approved these terms of surrender [at Bennett Place] and did not take issue with General Johnston"s supplement. (Excerpts from:  "Bennett Place Surrender")

The Confederate President Jefferson Davis was captured by Northern soldiers near Irwinville, Georgia on May 10, 1865 and imprisoned at Fort Monroe, Virginia for two years.

"Youngsville Men" - "They Were Destined To Serve"

Many men fought [At the Battles of Manassas, Gettysburg, Antietam, Richmond and Petersburg, etc.] some did not return. Those soldiers who were able to return home, many came home on foot, wounded and sick, minus a limb or an eye. There was very little food, money or clothing left. Homes had been ransacked and greatly damaged. A few valuables such as silverware had been saved by families who buried their treasures. (Excerpts: Sketches of Youngsville and Pacific, Mr. R.E. Cheatham)

The following is a sample of some of the Youngsville area's young men that served during the Civil War:

Mr. John Young Jr. had four sons who enlisted in the Army of the Confederacy during the Civil War: 

Mr. J.B. Timberlake fought with Col. Bradford's Bn. in Co, A under Capt. Price. On the third day of the Richmond seven-day fight, he remembers seeing General Robert E. Lee. "He was riding up and down the command on his gray horse." says Private Timberlake, "and he was the most fightinest man I ever saw".  Many other men of Youngsville also served in the Army of the Confederacy.  (Excerpts: Sketches of Youngsville and Pacific, Mr. R.E. Cheatham)

Mr. Burton Herbert Winston (1st Lieutenant Co I, 55 NC Inf.) The 55th NC Regiment was organized at Camp Mangum, near Raleigh, in the early part of 1862.  1st Lieutenant Burton Herbert Winston was the great grandson of Isaac Winston, Revolutionary War patriot. When the Confederacy called, Burton enlisted even though his father owned Holly Springs Plantation. The Winstons did not own slaves. Burton, along with many other North Carolina citizens, fought for state's rights. He was elected as an officer and led his men at the Battle of Gettysburg. He was captured and was sent to Union prison camp, where due to starvation they were forced to eat rats in order to survive. Burton came home after the war and laid down his gun in 1865. With grit and determination he started his work with a borrowed horse and rented land. He later became one of the largest land owners in Franklin County.

Judge D.W. Spivey, Furney P. Pierce and Calvin Mitchell were Captains in the civil war. Thomas Martin, Silas Stone (lost leg), Joab Mitchell, Michael Dent, William Columbus Hart served and came home. For names of other local soldiers in the Civil War, (See T.H. Pearce's book "They  Fought.")

On April 15, 1865, Mr. Jones Fuller and Dr. Ellis Malone [from Franklin County, N.C.] had travelled to Raleigh to meet with members of General Sherman's Army to ask that Louisburg, N.C. be spared from the ravages of  General Sherman's Army. "This mission had apparently spared this village on the Tar River as General Sherman promised that Louisburg would not be molested". 

On April 29, 1865, Yankee Troops had been passing through Youngsville (and surrounding areas) on their way to Louisburg, NC. Into a town of several hundred citizens 12,000 to 15,000 soldiers came, followed by an extensive wagon train. The infantry was to remain for several weeks. In this time slaves were freed and owners were to pay wages to the remaining freed slaves. The Yankee Army was camped in the beautiful college groves on N. Main Street, which had been the pride of village. 

Finally, on the 28th of July 1865, the Yankees left, although their hospital remained in an occupied hotel near the river. (Note: Excerpts of information was taken from the Diary of Mrs. Anna Long Thomas Fuller who lived in her old homeplace at 307 N. Main Street, Louisburg, NC.)

From descendants of families who lived on the Oak Level or Simms Road during the Civil War, have come stories of Yankees marching down this road causing great fear, ransacking fields and homes. Hattie Thomas, descendant of a pre-civil war slave tells of ancestors working in the field near Oak Level Church one day, when Yankees came by and went out in the field and took away the horses they were plowing with. She talks about how frightened everyone was.

An African American school teacher, Queen Esther Daye, whose father was Squire Jones, related handed down family stories. She recalls sitting around at "grand-mammys" knees, with other children, listening to stories of trials and tribulations. As personal experiences were told, tears would flow. (Excerpts: Sketches of Youngsville and Pacific, Mr. R.E. Cheatham)

After the war, barns and stables were empty and falling down from neglect. Farm tools were rusty. Horses and mules had been lost or stolen by the hundreds. There were barely enough left to cultivate the soil and so farmers borrowed from each other in order to farm and harvest their crops. Oxen were often used in place of horses. Roads and railroad tracks had been destroyed. Families were in severe poverty.  

On 29 May 1865, President Andrew Johnson (17th President of the United States of America) unveiled two proclamations designed to bring North Carolina back into the Union after the Civil War. First proclamation was: "Proclamation of "Amnesty and Pardon"; Second proclamation was: "Appointment of William Woods Holden as governor of North Carolina." A convention was held to discuss and ratify these and other issues of the day. Patrick Henry Winston was selected to represent Franklin County.

Following the Civil War, plantations, crops, homes and businesses had been destroyed. Confederate money was worthless, bridges and railroads had been damaged. Banks failed and the wealthy became poor overnight.  

William T. Young came home from Appomattox after the Civil War without a cent in his pocket and borrowed money to get married. With pluck and energy he soon accumulated enough money to buy a farm.  He was described as "...a man of quiet habits but a hustler." (Excerpts: Sketches of Youngsville and Pacific, Mr. R.E. Cheatham)

Sharecropping and tenant farming took the place of slavery, replacing the plantation system of agriculture in the South. Because prices on cotton and other crops remained low, sharecroppers and tenant farmers often fell into a cycle of indebtedness. Many lost all for which they had worked so hard. 

After the civil war, a world wide economic depression occurred (1873-1879).  "The struggles would continue."

Service to Country: 20th - 21st Century
Service to Country
The Wars of the 20th - 21st Century

It was not until 1898 that the first real test of the ability of the Adjutant Generals Department was tested. this was during the Spanish American War. In 1916 there was trouble on the Mexican Border, then Came World War One.  Effectiveness of the Guard improved with experience over the years. Many local citizens served in each of these conflicts.

World War I:

After World War One the Guard was disbanded but began reorganization in 1920 with expanded activities. Guardsmen were called upon to control railroad and textile strikes. 

The 30th Division was created in 1917 and included units in North Carolina, South Carolina and Tennessee. From the beginning it was known as Old Hickory in honor of General Andrew Jackson. 

The first National Guard Unit was organized in Youngsville on June 3, 1921 as Headquarters and Combat Training First battalion, 117th Field Artillery's. Drills were first held in an old frame tobacco warehouse which stood on College Street across from the old Graded School. One of the first outstanding commander of the unit was Captain Earl Underwood.

World War II:

In September 1940, shortly before the United States entered World War II, National Guardsmen throughout the nation were activated. It was on September 16, 1940 that 74 men from the Youngsville Guard were called and sent to Fort Jackson, South Carolina. In December of 1941 when the 630th. Tank Destroyer Battalion was activated, personnel was drawn from the 30th. Division, including men from Franklin County. The 630th trained for about 3 years before being sent overseas. On June 3rd 1944 that the 630th left the port of New York on the ocean liner "New Amsterdam." On June 12th 1944, the unit arrived in England where they stayed near Birmingham for about 5 weeks. 

On 24 July 1944, the 630th T D Bn. crossed the English Chanel in one day landing at Omaha Beach, Normandy France. They immediately saw action, receiving commendations for their bravery. They fought in 5 major campaigns: Normandy, Northern France, Rhineland, Germany, Ardennes-Alsace France Central Europe. They were in action for about 252 days.

The day after the brilliant victory achieved on the plains of Alsace (France) by your divisions fraternally united with French Forces, I am particularly happy to convey to you my gratitude and appreciation. "I humble myself in the memory of those of your comrades who have given their lives for France, for their Country, for the Liberty of the World and I hope, a day will come when once again, side by side, our united armies will achieve final victory." 14 February 1945, General J. de Lattre, Commander in Chief of the First French Army  

As this Battalion departed for the redeployment back to the United States of America their Major General Cota commended the Battalion for its "superior Teamwork, gallantry, resourcefulness & cooperation." In closing he wrote:  "I wish to commend the superior leadership, initiative and gallantry displayed by the officers and men of your Battalion. It is, my opinion,  a "crack" outfit and it is hoped we will again ROLL ON together in the very near future!" 15 March 1945 Major General Norman D Cota, USA

To:  The Officers and Men of the 630th Tank Destroyer Battalion - "The Fightingest TD Battalion in the ETO"

" You have heard the dramatic news that the War with Germany is over. The enemy has surrendered unconditionally - the peace terms will be ours. I know that no body of men received this news with greater joy than you. Throughout the past ten months you participated in fighting which has made history. You have helped to liberate France, Belgium and Luxembourg. You marched through Paris. You were one of the first units to invade the enemy's home - to walk  upon the Fatherland.  A grateful nation at home and a grateful world give you their thanks today for a job well done. May I add the personal commendation and appreciation of one who served with you in training and has been with you every day in combat. The memory of our fine work and friendship will be forever with me." 8 May 1945, Patrick G. Emmanuel, Major, F.A., USA Commanding.



War Truck

Korean War, Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan, and other Military Actions:

Members of the Youngsville National Guard have and continue to serve community and our country to this day.

In April 1960 Lt. Robert Hill met with the Youngsville Board of Commissioners to discuss the need and possibility of securing an Armory. Mayor A. E. Hall led an extensive campaign to build an Armory in Youngsville.  In 1970 Colonel John E. Fleming reported that construction funds might be available.  CWO-4 R.E. Cheatham and First Sgt. Delmus Hudson were chosen as project coordinators. The town of Youngsville secured a site for the Armory purchasing land from Mr. Robert Need and Mrs. E. M. Mitchell & family.  

The Armory was to be named "Youngsville Memorial Armory." The building was completed March 1974 and the dedication was held March 9, 1975. Captain Richard H. Cash conducted the Armory Dedication Celebration opening remarks and became Commander, Battery B 5th Battalion (8"SP) 113 FA North Carolina National Guard.

Slavery & The Road to Freedom

The Institution of Slavery and

The Road to Freedom


During and immediately following the American Revolution, abolitionist laws were passed in most Northern states and a movement developed to abolish slavery. All Northern states had abolished slavery in some way by 1805; sometimes abolition was a gradual process, and hundreds of people were still enslaved in the Northern states as late as the 1840 census. Some slaveowners, primarily in the Upper South, freed their slaves, and philanthropists and charitable groups bought and freed others. The Atlantic slave trade was outlawed by individual states during the American Revolution. The import trade was banned by Congress in 1808, although smuggling was common thereafter.

The rapid expansion of the cotton industry in the Deep South after the invention of the cotton gin greatly increased demand for slave labor, and the Southern states continued as slave societies. The United States became ever more polarized over the issue of slavery, split into slave and free states. Driven by labor demands from new cotton plantations in the Deep South, the Upper South sold more than a million slaves who were taken to the Deep South.  

As the United States expanded [west], the Southern states attempted to extend slavery into the new western territories to allow proslavery forces to maintain their power in the country. Southerners consistently argued for states rights and a weak federal government, but it was not until the 1850s that the South raised the issue of secession.  Southerners argued that having ratified the Constitution and having agreed to join the new nation in the late 1780s, they retained the power to cancel the agreement and they threatened to do just that..." (See: States' Rights - American Battlefield Trust.) The new territories acquired by the Louisiana Purchase and the Mexican Cession were the subject of major political crises and compromises. 

 Due to measures such as the Confiscation Acts and the Emancipation Proclamation in 1863, the war effectively ended chattel slavery in most places. Following the end of the war in May 1865, and in December 1865, upon ratification of the Thirteenth, Fourteenth and Fifteenth Amendments to the Constitution and the Civil Rights Act of 1866, African Americans were allowed by law to vote, actively engage in the political process and acquire land. By virtue of these laws chattel slavery was abolished in any place subject to the jurisdiction of the United States.  (Excerpts from: Slavery in the United States - Wikipedia)

The struggle for civil rights would continue into the 20th Century. From 1955 to 1968 Martin Luther King, Jr. (an American Baptist Minister & activist) became the most visible spokesman and leader in the civil rights movement from 1965 until his assassination in 1968. Dr. King advanced civil rights for people of color in the United States through non-violence and civil disobedience inspired by his Christian beliefs, culminating in the Civil Rights Act of 1964. This Civil Rights legislation is considered to be the crowning achievement of the civil rights era.

One of the ablest black leaders in North Carolina during the Reconstruction Era after the Civil War was John H. Williamson, a Georgia born slave, who moved to Franklin County with his Master's Widow, Temperance Body Perry Williamson. He represented Franklin County several times in the Legislature. Later he moved to Raleigh and became the editor of a newspaper.

Mrs. Rosanell Eaton was born in Franklin County, North Carolina April 14, 1921 as the seventh child. Rosanell was the great granddaughter of a slave. It was Rosanell's love for people that led her to become a strong advocate for civil rights, voting rights, human rights, and social justice. She knew that every race, color and creed should be treated fairly because all men were created equal. 

Rosanell lived a life characterized by her strength, dedication and faithfulness. "Her passion for the cause of Christ led her to actively work in His vineyards across nine decades in various capacities in both New Liberty and Faith Baptist Churches." She was a woman who sought to be a part of something bigger than herself and to set the example for others to follow. This guided her to focus on enhancing the lives of those she met through her affiliations and work on behalf of the greater good for people. 

She organized the Franklin County Chapter of the Concerned Women for Justice in 1975, assisted in establishing the Rainbow House for female ex-offenders in Raleigh, NC and was a supporting Founder of the Franklin County Boys and Girls Club.

Rosanell's dedication to a lifetime of service in uplifting the lives of mankind did not go unnoticed. Rosanell received numerous awards and acknowledgements of her life long work in voting rights, civil rights and equality for all. Rosanell's history can be found in the Oral History Collection and in the Southern Historical Collection in the Wilson Library, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

(Excerpts: Courtesy of the Franklin Times - December 13, 2018)

Rosanell Eaton 
"A Franklin County Civil Rights Icon"
(Article Courtesy of the Franklin Times)

Youngsville the Town

Youngsville the Town

Economic & Social Growth

Town of Youngsville
Established 1873 & Incorporated 1875 
Pacific 1845-1873
Article of Inc


Youngsville Community: Recovery, Growth and Economic Prosperity


Youngsville and surrounding communities struggled on the slow road to recovery from the Civil War. In 1896 the Youngsville Tobacco Market was established.  In the same year the Eagle Tobacco Warehouse was built by the firm of Perry and Patterson who had been established in this local business since 1880.  In 1897 the tobacco business was on pace to growing and selling three million pounds of tobacco per year. Among the largest of Youngsville leaf dealers was J. T. Hart and Company, with a large well arranged factory, equipped for buying and handling the tobacco. In 1916 nearly three million pounds of bright leaf tobacco were sold on the Youngsville Tobacco Market alone.

Seeing a particular need for handling and storing tobacco, local men built warehouses and prize houses and enticed experienced tobacconists to come in from other markets. In 1890, Mr. James Duke made use of newly invented cigarette rolling machine to feed the growing market for tobacco and founded the American Tobacco Company in North Carolina. (See: "The New South.", Khan Academy). 

A cotton market was established about the same time as the tobacco market. In 1897, annual receipts were from 5,000 to 8,000 bales. A large cotton yard occupied much of the block across from the depot, between West Main Street and Franklin Street. Owners of cotton gins in and around town became prosperous. A highly developed type of early maturing pure sugar loaf cotton was produced in the Youngsville area (Pure Sugar Loaf Plantation). The seed from this cotton was in great demand and large quantities were shipped in the Southern part of the Cotton Belt each year. 

The road to economic growth and prosperity had begun.

Downtown 1900

The Churches of Youngsville


The Hotels of Youngsville

William Young Hotel

Businesses of Youngsville

The Youngsville Tobacco Market

(This market was established in 1896 by Burton H. Winston, James Sidney Timberlake, J.B. Perry, G.C. Patterson, J.W. Woodlief and Dr. Ivey G. Riddick)


Over the Years: Downtown Businesses:
Community Celebrations

Families and friends had memorable times working together at these annual events. More accurately stated it was a year-round endeavor, for people talked and planned through the year with ideas put into action come harvest time. Weeks ahead of the set date, a building was secured and scrubbed up clean as a whistle. Trucks were borrowed to begin the big move - tables, chairs, tablecloths, cooking equipment, even stoves were transported by truck.  All cooking was done from scratch, there were no modern day shortcuts.  Each cook or helper is remembered for his or her respective talent. (Turkey, whipped potatoes, patted oysters, stewed oysters, Brunswick stew, home made chocolate ice cream, baked pies and coffee.) As there were no restaurants in town in those days it was a real treat for townspeople to eat out at the Bazaar. And its reputation drew friendly crowds from neighboring towns. 

Fun and fellowship were in abundance!   (Courtesy of: "Sketches of Youngsville and Pacific")


Graded School

The Doctors of Youngsville


Dr. Albert N. Corpening  - Family doctor for 45 years

Former Chief of Staff of Wake Forest Hospital. Dr. Corpening delivered over 1000 babies in his career.  (Retired 2003)

(Dr. Corpening and his wife Mary Charlie were both very active with the Youngsville community. They also donated the land, so Youngsville could build a Library - The Youngsville Library.)

John Young Jr - For Whom The Town Was Named

"John "Jack"Young, Jr."

For Whom The Town of "Youngsville"
Was Named

Established 1873 & Incorporated 1875


John "Jack" Young Jr. (Born 1802 - Died 1887)

The John Young, Jr. house was built with pegs and the house had a reputation of being the sturdiest house in town. It was here that neighbors gathered at times of severe storms, for they felt secure here. The rear portion of the home was apparently an addition as it was constructed with nails, instead of pegs. The home was dismantled in 1971.


Youngsville: 1900 - 1950

Youngsville, N.C. 

(The 20th Century: 1900 - 1950)

Youngsville's (Rail) Road to Prosperity


When Youngsville was booming!

During the first two decades of 20th century, when Youngsville Cotton & Tobacco markets were flourishing and Main Street business booming, there was an organized promotion of industry and real estate development. 

In the first ten years of 1900, Youngsville was a small boom town. 

'There were no autos in town until about 1910. So people used the train for business, pleasure or whatever their needs in relation to travel for a lengthy distance. Horses and buggies were still in use for shorter trips.'

  Around 1900, the railroad sponsored a big carnival which attracted large numbers of people. As a part of the celebration, local citizens participated in a colorful bicycle parade as well as other exciting contests. 

The following are highlights of some Youngsville events that occurred during the following years:

Main st 1915
T.L. Moss & John Woodlief General Store
Early Education

Stagecoach Station

     Stagecoach travel in North Carolina began just after the American Revolution.  "Despite their discomfort, stagecoach passengers generally did not complain and often developed a camaraderie with other riders. As stagecoaches were on the verge of extinction, travelers by railroad began to lament their passing and the loss of excitement and intimate contact with villages, countryside and fellow passengers that stage travel had offered." (Courtesy of -Stagecoaches)

     This property at one time was owned by the Rev. Bartholomew Fuller. It became known as "Fullers Crossroads".

      Although it has been considerably altered and modernized in the interior, elements remain to indicate it was built during the Georgian Period. Details of construction indicate that it was built no later than early 1800s and possibly late 1700s. It is believed that prior to 1811 that George Winston owned this property and established and operated a "Tavern" or "Ordinary"

     Today it is owned and occupied today by the Hudson family.

Note:  Another prominent old stage road ran westerly of town, and was known as the Raleigh-Oxford-Petersburg Road. At Goodloe's Crossroads it was joined by the Hillsborough-Tarborough Road.


The Roaring Twenties


From its early days as a British Colony in the 1700s through much of the 20th century (and today), the hills, hollers and swamps of North Carolina have been a hotbed of illegal liquor activity. Indeed, making untaxed liquor has been way of life handed down from generation to generation. (
See: Moonshiners & Revenuers, Johnny C. Binkley). 

At times, crop yields were often sparse in Youngsville. Many of the farmers found the need to supplement their income by manufacturing ale, cider and stronger beverages, which was all legally arranged at that time in history.  In fact, during he 1800's there was a good bit of manufacturing which was bottled and sold in local stores. In earliest days farmers in this business supplied local taverns and storehouses, as well as individuals, with choice products. Along Brandy Creek in one area, there are two branches which are named Whiskey Branch and Cocktail Branch, officially recorded as such on old courthouse records. In 1848, James A. Spencer and Wortham Newton had been issued a license for one year to retail spirits. The sale of spirits then was popular at all stores, Inns, Ordinaries and taverns. It was all legal for farmers to brew the alcohol and sell it to those who needed it for business purposes, which was regulated by the governments. There is evidence that quite a lot of farmers in Franklin County, NC supplemented their income y making the spirits.  (Excerpts: Sketches of Youngsville and Pacific, Mr. R.E. Cheatham)

In Mr. W.G. Riddick's book, which he wrote while residing in the old Riddick Hotel [Youngsville] before 1910, he wrote several pages related to the habit of drinking spirited liquors. 

In connection with spirits he says, "Now I can look back to the time, even in my day, when it was not considered out of pace for Christians, even ministers of the gospel, to take a social glass of spirits.  Even when going home from church it was the custom to have apple brandy and sugar, peach brandy and honey, arranged on the sideboard and before going in to dinner, the preachers and the others took a glass of toddy."

Being a part of Franklin County where it is rather generally known that some few people have manufactured strong drink of their own special brand, a few rural sections around Youngsville have been no exception.  Many intriguing stories have been told in connection with moonshine operations with perhaps the most fascinating ones being in regard to clever schemes and elaborate methods for protecting their private business.

One of the old legal distilleries of our area was located a few miles from town a short distance from the railroad by a water course still known as Stillhouse Creek. It was apparently a prosperous business. Liquors were among items shipped in by railroad.  According to reports, some individuals or maybe they were business men, met the trains with a wheel barrow to haul their purchases away.

Electric Lights Installed in downtown Youngsville (1920)

Though this system was highly welcomed, it also caused a little sadness. The removal of oil lamps on street corners did away with favorite gathering spots where people gathered by nights by the lampposts to tell tales. Records show that Doc Winston was Lamplighter as well as Policeman.


Financial Markets Collapse - 1929 "The GreaDepression"

For two decades the markets flourished. Decline began in the 1920's probably due to greater external competition and other factors. Then the financial markets crashed. Mr. and Mrs. Timberlake both stated that "the current depression was mild compared to the hard times of Civil War days". With a decline of local markets came a sharp decline in other businesses.

Community House

National Guard Youngsville
 - In the Spirit of our Nations History, Youngsville National Guard Continues to Serve.

     Headquarters Battery and Combat Train of the First battalion, 113th Field Artillery (FA), was originally recognized June 8, 1921 as Headquarter Detachment and Combat Train. The unit claims the distinction of being the first unit of its kind to be organized in the U.S. after World War I under the National Defense Act. The first Battery Commander was Capt. R. Earl Underwood who served in that capacity from June 1921 to March 12 1924. Capt. R. Earl Underwood and Frank Timberlake were instrumental in the organization of this Guard Battalion. Both men were WWI veterans. Bland G. Mitchell followed Frank Timberlake as Commander and was still serving when local guardsmen were activated in WWII in 1940. This unit continues active.  In 1957 the Youngsville Guard won the coveted Eisenhower Trophy for all-around superiority Guard leaders under the command of Commander Capt. Wiley Brown.  Members of this guard unit continue to serve our country to this day. Captain Rich Cash was the first Commander of the new National Guard facility in Youngsville.

National Guard

Truman Quote


Ration Books

Freight Station

West Main St 1941
October 30, 1944 -Youngsville Fire Department was organized and chartered.  Jack Green Sr. was the first Fire Chief of the department and the first fire truck was a converted bus that only carried hose that was hooked directly to a fire hydrant in town to fight fires. The original fire station was in downtown Youngsville located on West Railroad Street. Later another truck was also housed in Wheeler's Garage on E. Main Street.
(Courtesy of Youngsville Fire Department History)
(1939-1950)  The Struggles for Peace, Growth and Prosperity Continues!


Youngsville: 1950-2000

Youngsville, N.C.

(The 20th Century: 1950-2000)

Youngsville's Road to Prosperity
 Second Half of the 20th Century & Beyond
An Age of Relative Peace, Renewed Hope & Prosperity


Woodlief Fertilizer - Copy

Eagle Tobacco - Copy
Woodlief's Supply Company (1950's)
(Previously the sight of the Eagle Tobacco Warehouse -1896)

The following are highlights of some Youngsville events that occurred in the years that followed:


YFD New Truck
   (1950s-The Early Years)

Former Locations: Perry Livery Stable (1900-1950), West Cross Street (current location of Wicker Cuts Barber Shop), to Dukes Medicine Store location (Southwest Main Street - near railroad tracks)

Youngsville Fire Department current location:
 803 Wheaton Avenue (North Side of Town). Youngsville Fire Department has two satellite locations on Flat Rock Church Road and NC Highway 96 West.

YFD 1950

Youngsville Fire Department around 1950s

Fire Chief L.T. Allen, ~ Police Chief Alton Green

Fireman Woodlief - Copy

Early fire-fighting equipment included a reel on wheels, which was hand pushed, plus ropes and ladders. Men, women and  children formed bucket brigades to pass water from pumps during fires. For years there were two wooden handled pumps on Main Street which reportedly provided the best drinking water ever tasted. Before a Fire Department was organized, buildings lost in town by fire included the Dave Spivey home on Winston Street, the old railroad passenger station and depot. In 1942 the Town Board of Commissioners organized a Fire Company with Mr. Jack A. Green as Fire Chief. The fire truck was a converted bus. A firehouse was built in 1944 on West Railroad Street, behind the Mayor's office, then on the corner of Main and South Railroad Streets.


Youngsville High School Basketball Teams 

won the NC State Basketball 1-A Championships in 1956, 1968 and 1970

1956: Youngsville 1-A Basketball Champions
Phantom Jackets


Lady Phantoms


"The New Millennium" 

(Year 2000 and Beyond)


Griffins Fall

"Understanding history is your roadmap to the future. Embrace the journey!"

Paul B. Hawkins  (2022)

Reflections of the Past -Then & Now

Youngsville Museum of History - Reflections of the Past - Then & Now_Page_01 - Copy

Youngsville Museum of History - Reflections of the Past - Then & Now_Page_03 - CopyYoungsville Museum of History - Reflections of the Past - Then & Now_Page_04 - Copy

Youngsville Museum of History - Reflections of the Past - Then & Now_Page_05 - Copy

Youngsville Museum of History - Reflections of the Past - Then & Now_Page_06 - Copy
Youngsville Museum of History - Reflections of the Past - Then & Now_Page_07 - Copy - Copy
Youngsville Museum of History - Reflections of the Past - Then & Now_Page_08 - Copy

Youngsville Museum of History - Reflections of the Past - Then & Now_Page_09 - Copy
Masonic Lodge
We Certainly Do!

Looking East

Botling Works
Ronnie Whites
Baptist Church
Museum of History

Youngsville Centennial Celebration(1875-1975)

Town of Youngsville 


"A Celebration of 100 years of Community."

( 1875-1975

Centennial - Copy (2)
Mayor Wiley M. Roberts Presents Proclamation to Celebrate Youngsville's Centennial (100 Years)
March 17, 1975.
"As we go into our 100th year, we should pause and remember the contribution of our forefathers. No other town in the state has the cooperation we have in this town, township and with friends from Franklinton and Wake Forest."

Youngsville "Centennial Celebration" Schedule


"As one lady, dressed in the long ruffled dress and sunbonnet of yesterday, so aptly stated, "I wish it would last more than ten days." 

"More than one person displayed the same attitude, if only in their actions during the Saturday Night Square Dance festivities that was attended by a record crowd of some 700 people. We doubt that memories of this celebration will ever end for the people of Youngsville and the surrounding communities who enjoyed watching, as well as participating. It is hoped that these events will further bind our citizens to a common cause of progress for the entire county."

(Courtesy: The Franklin Times - March 11, 1975)

Saturday Night Square Dance
Square dance - Copy (2)

Youngsville Community Celebrations

(Parades, Store, Museum, Etc.)

Parade more
promenade - Copy

Mayor's Proclamation

"Brothers of the Brush"

All males in Youngsville have been commanded to grow beards for the town's centennial celebration in March and a good number are making great progress.

Jail house

Centennial Museum
Brunswick Stew
Tea title
Youngsville Sports Hall of Fame - Rememberances

Youngsville Sports Hall of Fame Remembrances


Our Story:  "Reflections of Youngsville Basketball Champions" 

  Winston "Twig" Wiggins grew up in Youngsville, North Carolina. As a young boy he learned to be very proud of "Our American Soldiers.' He remembers parades at the end of WWII, where Amercian soldiers would march past and he proudly saluted them.  Twig values the lessons of hard work, belief in God and a strong work ethic that he learned working on his father's farm and attending Flat Rock and Oak Level churches. Those values set the foundation for his successful life. His dad in addition to farming, played semi-professional baseball.  Twig attended Youngsville High School and as he reflects on those days the school was in one building with 42 boys. The gym floor was old and slanted. One day while Twig was in high school, Al DePorter came to Youngsville High School and accepted a job as basketball coach, but only after having the opportunity to see Twig and some fellow tall basketball players shoot some baskets. Coach Al DePorter saw their athletic potential. Youngsville High School went on to win the state 1A basketball championships in 1956, 1968, and 1970.

Jerry Mitchell played for Youngsville High School and went on to play for the Wake Forest Demon Deacons. So did "Twig "Wiggins. Among the other standout players on that 1956 Team was legendary high school coach Larry Lindsey. 

Coach Al DePorter was devoted to his basketball team players. So much so, that he left his position at Youngsville High School and followed "Twig" Wiggins and Larry Mitchell to Wake Forest University and became assistant coach under the legendary Coach Horace "Bones" McKinney. When Larry Mitchell and "Twig" Wiggins graduated from Wake Forest University, Coach Al DePorter returned to his beloved Youngsville where he still resides.  Even to this day, "Twig" Wiggins refers to Coach Al DePorter as his second dad. Those days together formed their lifelong friendships.

Larry Lindsey went on to play college ball at Pembroke after having to turn down a basketball scholarship at NC State due to an ankle injury.  He returned to his native Youngsville to coach his high school alma mater to two more state championships in 1968 and 1970. In 1972, Coach Larry Lindsey was named the top prep coach in the nation by Sports Illustrated. His teams made the state championship playoffs 28 times and won eight state champion titles. In 2011, Coach Lindsey was named into the North Carolina Sports Hall of Fame, an honor usually given to the pros in big time North Carolina sports. 

"Twig" Wiggins, after graduating from Wake Forest University, coached basketball at both the high school and college level. In 1970 "Twig" left the coaching job at Elon University and returned to Wake Forest area where he started a successful business in his native Youngsville. Over the years "Twig" has raised a wonderful family and played a major role in the development of recreation programs in the Youngsville area.  Twig Wiggins along with former teammate Larry Lindsey and friend Lin Green, formed a recreation board to help promote and advise the town of Youngsville on the recreational needs of the community.

In 1995 Wiggins, Lindsey, Mitchell, Coach DePorter with friends Bob MacGillavry and Alley Hart won the North Carolina Senior Basketball games and went on to win the national title in Chicago that same year. Twig continued in the Senior Games, winning an additional five national gold medals in 2001, 2003, 2013, 2017, and 2022. (Excerpts Courtesy: CIRCA Magazine April-May-June 2023)

On August 14, 2023, Mary Jo Buffaloe and Paul Hawkins had the honor and pleasure of interviewing  "Twig" Wiggins, a member of the Youngsville's Sports Hall of FameWe are grateful to Mr. "Twig" Wiggins for providing us with the opportunity to conduct this interview. Twig described his life in Youngsville, his basketball accomplishments, family and the great life long relationships with Al DePorter, Larry Lindsey, Jerry Mitchell, Lin Green, Bob MacGillavry, Alley Hart and others. Their team work and strong relationships set the example for success and made them all Champions in Life!  



Remembrances-"Reflections of a Youngsville Farm Girl"

Youngsville Remembrances

"Reflections of a Youngsville Farm Girl" 


My Story:  "Reflections of a Youngsville Farm Girl" by Mary Jo Bridges Buffaloe

I was born in the middle of a snowstorm early in 1946 as the third child of tenant farmers.  At the age of two, we moved into the Fleming Farmhouse on Fleming Road for one year to tend their crops.  At the age of three, my grandfather, George Thomas Bridges, passed away and we moved onto his tobacco farm and into the old farmhouse with Grandma.  Grandma moved in with her daughter, Ruth Hill, soon after.  Growing and harvesting tobacco back then was a very labor-intensive job.  

The season started in late February.  We prepared the plant bed by covering a space of about 30’ x 60’ feet of good, tilled soil in plastic, then gassing the ground so that weeds would be harder to grow.  After a few days, the plastic would be removed, and tobacco seeds would be scattered over the “plant bed”.  The plant bed would then be covered in a thin cheese cloth- like fabric to protect the plants from the birds, sun, and weeds.  The weeds still came and every week, we had to pull the weeds without stepping on the new plants.   That is when I learned that I had a back, because it ached at times.  Once the plants were about six inches high, we had to pull them gently and put in bushel baskets (root side down).  By the time I was eleven or so, we had an automated plant setter.  Before then, the plants were each planted by “hand setters”.  My father planted and plowed with a pair of mules until he purchased his first “Farmall Cub tractor” around 1956.  The fields had to be turned, disked, rows run, and fertilizer added before we could plant the plants.  Afterwards, my dad plowed every week and I followed behind walking in plowed dirt to uncover any leaf that may have gotten too much soil on top of it during plowing.  Once the tobacco was about 18” high the plowing stopped and the weeds had to be removed via hand held hoes as needed.  All during the growing season, we went up and down the rows removing any weeds that might take away the nutrients the tobacco might need.  We also removed any tobacco worms (I hated that job) that might make a hole in a leaf.  Many times we dusted the plants with Sevin Dust, a poison to kill the worms.  When the tobacco would start to flower on top, we had to “top the tobacco” by hand, breaking out all the blooms.  (The blooms would take the weight out of the leaves if left.)   One of the worst jobs was to “de-sucker” each plant, meaning we had to break off any sucker that formed above each leaf.  (The suckers also took away the weight of the harvested leaves if left on the plant.)  From planting the seeds to harvest time was about five to six months.  Usually about three leaves would ripen each week beginning in late July.  Harvest would last sometimes into September. 

As soon as I was old enough to count three leaves of tobacco, I was handing tobacco to a “wrapper”, who tied the bundle onto the tobacco stick (hand cut and full of splinters).  The tobacco had a coating of black gum that stuck to your hands, and it was hard to wash off.  For our simple entertainment, we use to roll the gum off our hands and make gum balls to throw at each other.  We called this work, “barning” tobacco.  It consisted of four “primers” picking the ripe tobacco off the stalk starting with the bottom leaves, putting them into a tobacco slide, pulled then by a mule, down the tobacco row.  Once the slide was full, it was “trucked” to the barn by a slide and handed over to two “handers” and a “wrapper”.  The wrapped stick of tobacco was then hung in racks outside.  When the primers finished priming all the ripe leaves, they would come to the barn and hang the tobacco from the racks into the barn for curing.  My father would start the heat on low to dry out the moisture in the leaves and then let them cure for about six days.  If you raised the temperature too quickly, the leaves would dry a green color that would not sell at the market for very much.  There was an art for curing tobacco and the local farmers prided themselves in curing more of the “golden leaf” color.  That was top price at the market. 

We would get up early before sunrise while there was still dew to soften the dry tobacco as it was being removed from the barn, and piled it neatly on a flat trailer and transferred it to the "pack-house" until the fall, when the tobacco was done.  This process occurred every week until all the tobacco was in the house.  Most farm children were late or absent many days from the beginning of school that usually started in late August. back then, it was an acceptable excuse for being absent.  After the green tobacco was done, the next phase was taking the dry tobacco off the stick, grading it by color, and then tying it into hand size bundles.  We had to take it out of the pack house, put it on racks in a pit usually dug under a "strip room" (a building used for stripping dried tobacco off the stick) to get it "in order". That means it would take on enough moisture from the damp pit that it could be handled without it breaking up.  My job was to strip the tobacco off the stick, lay it on a bench for my mom to grade it by colors. 

Many nights, we would have "tobacco tying's" and friends and neighbors would come over and help tie it in bundles for marketing. That was one thing that I enjoyed the most, because as fast as everyone was working, they were telling stories.  We would serve RC Colas and moon pies or peanuts or nabs. We did this barn by barn until all was sold.  By then it was November. 

During the winter months, we sawed wood for the wood stove in our kitchen, we cleaned out the barns and the pack-houses to get them ready for next season. After tobacco season, there was always a "hog killing" so there would be fresh meat for the holidays coming up. I was cold many times growing up, but we were never hungry.  Tobacco was our only income as Social Security was not yet invented. I don't know how my parents made what little we did last all year, until the next crop could be sold, but they did. 

Small farmers were the bulk of Franklin County residents. I was always glad my father was a godly man, so we did get to rest on the seventh day. We attended Flat Rock Baptist Church on Sunday. Because we all worked hard and had the same lifestyle, we never thought of ourselves as indigent. we were rich in family, food, and fellowship with one another. If a neighbor had health issues, the farmers all came together and helped to get the crops in. 

I really did have a good life growing up as a farm girl in the Youngsville area. The only thing I plant now is flowers!

Mary Jo Bridges Buffaloe


Remembrances- "Hart Old Country Store"
Youngsville Remembrances
"Jones W. Hart & Son - Old Country Store"

Country Store: "Personality of Old County Store" By Patricia Hart


There are but a few traces of what remains of the store as it was years ago. The new face has made it modern, in comparison. However, if you look close enough, you can see where the old part ends and the new begins.  It was built more years ago than anyone care to remember. It goes all the way back to the "pot belly" stove, glass candy counter, and checker board. 

It was and still is the best place to find out the latest in news. It open its doors to everyone, always seeming to say, "Welcome", come in for a while.  Its owner died this Spring, leaving his son and daughter-in-law to operate it.  I dare say, there are few people who do not know where Jones Hart's Grocery is located, in case you are one of the few, it is about four miles from Youngsville, on CR 1105. Uncle Jones, Mr. Jones, and a few called him Jones, for that was the way he wanted it.

When was the first time I went to that store, too long to tell. I do remember the stove and especially the candy counter. My daddy would play checkers with others who came in, and I would look at the candy. Jones never failed to fill my hands with the 1 cent pieces of delight. He always loved children, and freely shared the penny candy with them.  For four years I visited the store as a farmers, listened to the way this farmer did this or that.  It is almost unreal how many ways you can grow a crop of tobacco.  Jones must have gotten bored with all our tales, but if he did, you never heard him say a word.  He was always interested in what you were doing, and how far along the crops were coming. How many drinks, candy bars and sandwiches have been put away over the counter of that store.

I'll never forget the time Jones was telling me about this hot summer, way back when.  I never dreamed it could really get that bad, that was the beginning of the summer of 1977.

He loved people. No one that ever went to that store was ever made to feel unwelcomed. He had a special way of making things seem better, no matter how bad they really were.  I guess it was his way of showing the love had had for all of us.  He was in so much pain from Rheumatoid Arthritis, I don't know how he managed from day to day. I saw him many times when he could just get from place to place; how many hours of pain he suffered to keep that store open, no one will ever know. He could have closed it years before he died. I often asked him why he kept on going, with all the pain, he would say "aw, I'll be all right, I wouldn't know what to do with myself, if I didn't work.

He spoke of work often. It was a favorite part of the conversations that go on in a country store. still is today. I often wanted to write down the stories that were told in that store but never did. I could have written a book. Jones tried to get me to leave a book for him to write in, I never did.  He will be missed this season. The doors are open, and the welcome is still very much there, but like all changes, this change is somehow harder to take.

We all still gather at that store he gave so many years to.  We don't have to talk of him to know that we all miss him.  His family carries on the store now. For that, I thank God, where would a farm area be without a "Country Store?"  They will add to our lives, just as Jones did. The warmth is there, the friendly "hello" and good conversation; and in time, it will be easier to go there and not look for Jones.

That old store stands as a corner stone in Flat Rock community, paying its dues to the man who ran it for 42 years. We shall always remember when we pass that special country store...Jones W. Hart and son.

(Courtesy of:  Franklin County Times)

country store