|Rich in history, the town of Youngsville was initially known as Pacific and was first incorporated on March 17, 1875. Shortly thereafter, John “Jack” Young gave the community land to build a train depot and was honored through the town's renaming to Youngsville.
Visit The Museum Page
John Young, Jr. was born in 1802. Hewed to Penelope Lassiter (1805-1868). Over the years that had nine children - four sons and five daughters. Mr. Young bought from Joseph Winston 302 Acres of land for $500. Between 1837 and 1840, the first railroad tracks were laid through Franklin County, NC. Mr. Young conveyed land to the railroad company allowing them to go through his property.
Then in 1846, Mr. Young conveyed to Wesley Hollister, an official of the Raleigh and Gaston railroad Company, 2 acres of his land on the west side of the railroad. The tract, which was sold for $15, was on the north side of what is now Main Street, but at the time known as the Hillsborough-Tarborough Road. (Note: This land was owned by the railroad company from 1846 until it was sold to the Youngsville Rescue Service in 1976.) A community began to rise up in this area, which for years was known as the "Cotton Yard." In 1850, John Young, Jr. was named the third postmaster of "Pacific." John Young, Jr. was known as "Jack" by his friends. The business was probably operated in part of his store. He served as postmaster for almost thirty years.
Then, in 1873, John Young, Jr. gave some additional land to the Raleigh and Gaston Railroad Co. for a new depot to be built. This is when the Youngsville was first declared as the new name of the town, having been previously known as "Pacific". (The land was 526 yards in both northerly and southerly direction from the new depot, 120 feet west of the center of the railroad tracks, and 100 feed east of the track.)
|Julius B. Timberlake